Chicken Katsu w/rice salad
Japanese chicken katsu served with baby bok choy, capsicum and baby spinach leaves tossed through healthy brown rice
- 300 gram boneless skinless chicken breast per person
- 1/4 cup flour seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of panko breadcrumbs
Vegetable Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup Japanese Brown Rice or Sushi Rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 baby bok choy
- 1/2 capsicum
- 1/3 bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 spring onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and stalks
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon runny honey, sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons katsu sauce
- A few coriander leaves
- Combine rice, water and a pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid at any time during cooking.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and cut into 1–2cm strips. Place seasoned flour in a bowl, whisk egg with a fork in a second bowl and place panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Coat each chicken piece first in flour, then egg, then crumbs, shaking off excess as you go. Set aside on a clean, dry, tray or plate.
- Cut bottom 3cm off bok choy and wash thoroughly, then finely slice stems and leaves. Remove core and seeds from capsicum and finely dice; roughly chop spinach; finely slice spring onion; toss all with coriander and peanuts in a medium bowl.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan (preferably non-stick) on medium heat. Fry crumbed chicken for about 3 minutes each side until golden brown and cooked through, adding more oil as needed. If crumb starts to burn, reduce heat.
- Fluff up cooked rice with a fork and add to vegetables. In a small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients together and toss through rice.
To Serve: Spoon some vegetable brown rice onto each plate, top with crumbed chicken. Serve katsu sauce on the side for dipping and garnish with coriander.